Cannon Memorial YMCA
A-Z Directory
Cannon YMCA

YMCA History

Devastation and Renewal: The Fire of 1937

The Kannapolis community was devastated when a fire destroyed the Cannon Memorial YMCA structure in 1937. Fire could not destroy the YMCA spirit in Kannapolis. Temporary facilities opened downtown and on January 22, 1940, a new Cannon Memorial YMCA was dedicated by Mr. C. A. Cannon, son of J. W. Cannon, in memory of his parents.  

The new Cannon YMCA building contained a barber shop, lockers and showers, handball courts, two gyms, a health club, a food service department, a canteen to service the mill, library, boy’s department, and a new idea at that time – YMCA facilities for women and girls.

Click here for more Cannon Memorial YMCA history.