The Beginning of Cannon YMCA Sponsorships and Charities
In addition to physical activities, the Cannon YMCA rendered many services to the Kannapolis community.
From 1928 to 1937, a tonsil clinic operated during the summer months. Charity programs also began, such as the Empty Stocking Fund in 1937 (sponsored jointly with “The Daily Independent”). The Empty Stocking Fund was created as a way to reach out to those less fortunate during the Christmas season and continues to serve the community today.
The YMCA also sponsored Lyceum and Chautauqua programs, organized the first Boy Scout troop in Kannapolis, constructed two asphalt tennis courts and donated a piano to Cannon High School. The Y promoted religious programs as well as civic programs. YMCA World Week of Prayer is an early program that continues today.