Open Doors Scholarship Program
The YMCA is a nonprofit, community service and cause driven organization that is committed to helping people achieve their full potential. The Open Doors Program is available to people of all ages, backgrounds, abilities and incomes.
Each year the Cannon Y provides over $275,000 in financial assistance. These funds are made possible through the generous gifts from our members and donors to the Annual Support Campaign, corporate partnerships, special events and grants.
How Can Open Doors Help?
If you cannot afford the full cost of a YMCA program or membership, you may apply for financial assistance through the Open Doors Scholarship Program.
Assistance is awarded on the basis of financial need. We consider household income and number of legal dependents as primary criteria. For those that qualify, an award will be issued that will assist with membership and/or program fees.
Once awarded, please note that the award cannot be used on private programs such as personal training, birthday parties, private swim lessons, massage therapy or other similar private programs.
- Complete the confidential Open Doors application. Click here to download a PDF of the application.
- Provide us with the required documentation:
- Most recent tax return. Must include total gross income and legal dependents.
- Last 2 pay stubs from the current employer OR last 2 bank statements.
- Other financial documentation if applicable: social security statement, unemployment ben-efit statement, disability ben-efit statement, child support statement or student loan statement.
- Your application will be reviewed to determine financial assistance eligibility and you will be presented with an offer.
- Applying for Open Doors does not guarantee qualification.
- If required documentation is not complete, this will delay the process.
Open Doors Testimonials
“My children have benefited, not only from the sports and activities at the Y, but also from the friendships they have developed. The YMCA has ministered to us physically, emotionally and spiritually. At a time in our lives when it would have been easy to fall apart, the Y strengthened us on so many levels.” - Phil Wertz, Open Doors Scholarship Member
"I just love the fact that the Y has a positive Christian atmosphere, you can't find that at other fitness places." - Traci, Y Member
Frequently Asked Questions About Open Doors
How long will assistance continue?
Assistance is provided for a period of 6 to 12 months and will be reviewed for eligibility every year. If help is still needed when assistance is reviewed, you will be asked to re-apply. If your circumstances change before the time period is up, please let us know so we may serve others.
Why does the Y request financial information?
With information on income and family size, we can award assistance in a fair and consistent manner. We use these procedures to ensure that everyone receives equal consideration.
Who will see the information I provide?
Personal financial information is handled in a confidential manner and will be seen and reviewed only by the YMCA’s professional staff. No information is shared with any other agency or organization.
Who can I contact for more information?
Please contact the staff representative at the branch for which you are applying.
Kannapolis: Heather Wood, 704.939.9622 x716 or email@example.com
West Cabarrus: Calley Biagi, 704.795.9622 x221 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Harrisburg: Christine Vanard, 704.454.7800 x321 or email@example.com