The Cannon Memorial YMCA is committed to ensuring that everyone is safe while swimming in our pools.
Everyone ages 12 and younger must take a swim assessment to determine swimming ability. Assessment includes:
- Swimming 25 yards (or length of the pool) in a strong fashion on front without holding the wall or floor.
- Tread water for 1 minute immediately following completion of the swim.
- Jump in water over their head, return to surface and exit the pool safely.
Swim assessment must be completed at every visit to any pool at any location.
Upon successfully completing the swim assessment, you will receive a green wristband which allows:
- Ages 6-12 may swim the entire pool and use the slide at West Cabarrus.
- Anyone under the age of 6, regardless of ability, must be within arm's reach of an adult at all times.
- If a swim assessment was denied or not successful, you will receive a red wristband.
- Ages 10-12 must have a parent/guardian present in the pool area if the child does not pass the test and they do not want to wear a PFD. Parent/guardian of children that do pass the swim test or choose to wear a PFD must remain in the building, but are not required to stay in the pool area.
- Ages 6-9 must have a parent/guardian within arm's reach of them if they have not passed the swim assessment and do not want to wear a PFD.
- Parent/guardian must be in the pool actively engaged with thier child if they do not pass the swim test and are wearing a PFD.
- Parent/guardian must remain in the pool area for children that pass the swim assessment.
- Ages 0-5 must have a parent/guardian within arm's reach regardless if they have successfully completed the swim assessment. Children not passing the test must wear a Coast Guard Approved PFD.
- Lifeguards on duty reserve the right to test any individual regardless of age to ensure everyone's safety.
Lifeguards at any of the Cannon Memorial YMCA Pools have the final authority on successful completion of the swim test. We reserve the right to retest or test any individual at any age that is deemed an appropriate concern while visiting our pool facilities.
Will McCormick, Senior Aquatics Director at firstname.lastname@example.org.